Melissa, along with the Progressive Caucus and many members of the City Council, believe that there is a need for more police accountability in New York City. Progressive Caucus Member Jumaane Williams, with the support of the Progressive Caucus, is sponsoring four bills that collectively make up the Community Safety Act.
The Community Safety Act includes the following:
- Int 0799-2012: A Local Law to amend the administrative code of the city of New York, in relation to requiring law enforcement officers to provide notice and obtain proof of consent to search individuals.
- Int 0800-2012: A Local Law to amend the administrative code of the city of New York, in relation to prohibiting bias-based profiling by law enforcement officers.
- Int 0801-2012: A Local Law to amend the administrative code of the city of New York in relation to requiring law enforcement officers to identify themselves to the public.
- Int 0881-2012: A Local Law to amend the New York city charter, in relation to establishing an office of the inspector general for the New York city police department.
Join us at one of the upcoming hearings:
- Tomorrow, Wednesday October 10 at 10 AM, there will be a Committee on Public Safety hearing in City Hall’s Council Chambers.
- Tuesday, October 23 from 6 to 9 PM, there will be an additional public hearing addressing the NYPD’s use of stop and frisk practices at Brooklyn College. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.