Latino elected officials and community leaders united again yesterday to make a final push for marriage equality. Legislation that would allow same-sex couples to marry has already passed the New York State Assembly, and just one more vote is needed in the Senate for full passage. The rally and press conference was held at the LGBT Community Center in the West Village. Puerto Rican human rights activist Pedro Julio Serrano emceed the event, which also featured Council Members Melissa Mark-Viverito and Rosie Mendez, the bill’s sponsor Senator Tom Duane and actor Wilson Cruz. Two same-sex couples, Maribelle Vázquez and Sophia Pazos, as well as Henry Velandia and Joshua Vandiver, also shared their personal stories to make the case for marriage equality.
Check out all the coverage of yesterday’s press conference:
- Última llamada para ‘Ley de Igualdad Matrimonial’ (El Diario/La Prensa)
- Supporters Of Same-Sex Marriage Bill Hold Rallies Across NYC (CBS NY)
- Same-sex marriage supporters rally in NYC (ABC NY)
- Father’s Day Marriage Equality Rally (Fox NY)
- Comunidad latina se expresa a favor de la igualdad matrimonial (NY1 Noticias)
- Same-sex marriage goes down to legislative wire in New York (Reuters)